Prof. Helbrecht focusses her research on the cultural, social and spatial development of cities. She investigates urban branding, city image and identity as well as the marketing thereof. Neighbourhood and urban development policies, urban governance, housing markets and demographic change are also topics of her research. Furthermore, Prof. Helbrecht conducts analyses of social space and studies concerning the public sphere and space. As the director of the Georg-Simmel-Centre for Metropolitan Studies (Georg-Simmel-Zentrums für Metropolenforschung / GSZ), platform for interdisciplinary urban research, and as a member of the Integrative Research Institute on Transformations of Human-Environment Systems (IRI THESys) Prof. Helbrecht is well connected in her field of expertise and prepared for interdisciplinary research projects.
- ARGE Ansiedlungsmanagement Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg (c/o Friedrichshain-Kreuzberger Unternehmerverein e.V.): scientific accompanying research on conflicts concerning commercial asset management of the night-economy in Kreuzberg
- Wüstenrot Foundation: „Wohneigentum in Europa“ - Analysis of residential property in Europe and of the factors influencing home ownership quotas in cooperation with the ifo Institute (Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich)
- Senator of Economic Affairs, Labour and Ports, Bremen: „Engpassfaktor Humankapital: Strategien der Bremer Wirtschaftsförderung zur Attraktion von Hochqualifizierten als Standortvoraussetzung der High-Tech-Industrie“ - Analysis of factors influencing (re-)location decisions of highly qualified professionals in a specific region for high-tech industry
- Bayerische Motorenwerke AG (BMW): „Der Kunstpark Ost: Wirtschaftliche und kulturelle Bedeutung für München“
- Georg-Simmel-Centre for Metropolitan Studies (Georg-Simmel-Zentrum für Metropolenforschung / GSZ): interdisciplinary platform for collaborative research for metropolitan studies. Its goal is to contribute fundamentally to future urban development, regionally and internationally. Main topics of this interdisciplinary approach are: urban change, the cultural base of and social momentum in cities, sustainable urban development, and internationalisation of urban studies
- IRI THESys - Integrative Research Institute on Transformations of Human-Environment Systems: the institute’s purpose is the interdisciplinary transformation research focusing on land use and use of resources, processes of urbanization in the 21st century, effects of climate change, as well as intra- and inter-generational environmental justice